Since its founding at UC Berkeley in 1909, the Gamma Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi has prided itself in attracting leaders – leaders in the classroom, on the university campus, and across the greater community. The Gamma Scholar Awards are intended to recognize and reinforce our Chapter’s and Fraternity’s commitment to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service.
The Gamma Scholar Awards are made available to deserving students by the Pi Kappa Phi Foundation and Gamma Chapter Alumni Association. All applications will be reviewed by an independent committee of Gamma alumni & the Chapter Archon.
Stephen Deftos Memorial Scholar Award
Named in honor of this Gamma alumnus, who was initiated in Fall 1986, the Stephen Deftos Memorial Scholarship is the highest award for a member. This award will be presented to the top applicant, as selected by the Gamma Scholarship Committee. A student who is active and was initiated more than 1 semester before applying is eligible.
Jeff Chang Memorial Scholar Award
Named in honor of this Gamma alumnus, who was initiated in Fall 1994, the Jeff Chang Memorial Scholarship is the highest award available to a Fall Associate Member. This award will be presented to the top applicant, as selected by the Gamma Scholarship Committee. A student who pledged and was initiated the previous Fall is eligible.
Christopher Schad Memorial Scholar Award
Named in honor of this Gamma alumnus who was initiated in Fall 2012, the Christopher Schad Memorial Scholarship is an award to the member that has demonstrated leadership and overcome obstacles to be a respected leader of the Chapter.
Gamma Scholar Award recipients show a strong commitment to academic excellence and scholarly pursuits. Outside of the classroom, Gamma Scholars also distinguish themselves through contributions to the chapter, Cal campus, and broader community.
To be eligible for this award, you must have completed the member education process and be an active brother in good standing within the Fraternity. You must also comply with the following:
1. You are a member of Pi Kappa Phi, affiliated with the Gamma Chapter and in good standing with the chapter. Your chapter Treasurer must initial the application attesting to your good standing status.
2. You are enrolled in a full course of study at Cal.
3. You have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
4. You have completely and thoroughly answered all questions.
5. You have submitted an official transcript along with your application.
6. You have submitted a current copy of your resume.
1. The Gamma Scholar Award winner will receive the allotted grant.
2. Winners will be publicly recognized in the Gammazette newsletter.
3. Award recipients will receive a commemorative plaque, recognizing this accomplishment.